Academic Article


  • A retrospective morphologic study of 80 cases was undertaken to determine factors affecting detectability of computed tomographically (CT) proved aortopulmonary (AP) window lesions on conventional posterioanterior (PA) and lateral chest radiographs. Criteria used for determining abnormality were: (a) solitary lymph node enlargement over 1.5 cm or three or more 1-cm nodes and (b) obvious large masses or vascular anomalies. CT scans and corresponding PA and lateral radiographs were analyzed for lesion detectability, size, and location. In 49% of cases there was no detectable lesion in the AP window on radiographs; a definite AP window lesion was seen in 41%, and 10% were equivocal. Major contributing factors to low detectability of AP window lesions on radiographs include size and, more important, location of the lesion. An additional 45 cases of CT-proved normal AP windows were retrospectively reviewed to determine the false-positive rate of PA and lateral radiographs in detection of AP window lesions; 43 (96%) were classified as negative, the remaining two (4%) as equivocal. Although the AP window is a small space, it is the site of many pathologic conditions; the study results indicate that CT may be an essential procedure for its evaluation.
  • Published In

  • Radiology  Journal
  • Pubmed Id

  • 19764759
  • Author List

  • Jolles PR; Shin MS; Jones WP
  • Start Page

  • 647
  • End Page

  • 651
  • Volume

  • 159