Neoadjuvant interferon-based chemoradiation for borderline resectable and locally advanced pancreas cancer: A Phase II pilot study

Academic Article

Abstract

  • Objectives: Neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy (CRT) is a viable treatment strategy for patients with pancreatic cancer. This study was conducted to evaluate the Virginia Mason Protocol (5-fluorouracil, cisplatin, interferon-α and radiation) given in the neoadjuvant setting for the treatment of locally advanced pancreatic cancer. Methods: A Phase II pilot study evaluating interferon-based neoadjuvant CRT in patients with locally advanced pancreatic cancer was performed. Results: A total of 23 patients were enrolled. The mean age of the patients was 58.6 years. Of the 23 patients, seven (30.4%) completed all treatments. In the remaining 16 (69.6%) patients, treatment was interrupted as a result of toxicity. The most commonly reported effects of toxicity were leucopoenia/cytopoenia (n = 19, 82.6%) and gastrointestinal effects (n = 19, 82.6%). Surgical resection was successful in seven (30.4%) patients. Margins were negative in six (85.7%) of these seven patients. Positive lymph nodes were identified in three (42.9%) of seven patients. Overall survival was 11.5 months. Surgery provided improved survival (22.6 months) compared with CRT alone (8.8 months). Disease-free survival in resected patients was 17.2 months. Conclusions: Interferon-based neoadjuvant CRT may allow for resection of locally advanced pancreatic cancer, but with significant toxicity. In the absence of surgical resection, survival remains dismal. © 2013 International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association.
  • Published In

  • HPB  Journal
  • Digital Object Identifier (doi)

    Author List

  • Jensen EH; Armstrong L; Lee C; Tuttle TM; Vickers SM; Sielaff T; Greeno EW
  • Start Page

  • 131
  • End Page

  • 139
  • Volume

  • 16
  • Issue

  • 2